 |
| My 2010 Thanksgiving turkey - ready for carving! |
After thirty plus years of roasting turkey, there's still something to learn. This year's
Thanksgiving bird was prepared with advice from
Ina Garten. Her Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast recipe was hit with everyone in my house, especially since I made it with a whole turkey instead of only the breast. Here is what I used to make the most flavorful and moist turkey I can recall:
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 4 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons good olive oil
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups dry white wine
In a small bowl, I combined the garlic, mustard, herbs, salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice to make a paste. I loosened the skin from the meat gently with my fingers and smeared half of the paste directly on the meat. I spread the remaining paste evenly on top of the skin. Then, before putting the turkey in the oven, I poured the wine into the bottom of the roasting pan.
I roasted my 16 lb. turkey uncovered in a convection oven at 325F for about 2 1/2 hours. It rested, covered, for about an hour before carving. It was at a perfect temperature for serving, and the juices had settled perfectly in the meat!
No comments:
Post a Comment